The Board will support the work of Designing Dreams and provide mission-based leadership, strategic governance, and fundraising. While day-to-day operations are led by Designing Dream’s Executive Director, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member Responsibilities Include:
* Leadership, governance, and oversight
* Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements the Designing Dreams strategic plan
* Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Designing Dreams for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness
* Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
* Approving Designing Dreams' annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
* Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
* Assisting the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
* Partnering with the Executive Director and other Board Members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
* Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
* Representing Designing Dreams to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
* Ensuring Designing Dreams' commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Designing Dreams serves.
Designing Dreams Board Members will consider Designing Dreams a philanthropic priority and make personal donations that reflect that priority. So that Designing Dreams can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Designing Dreams expects to have 100% of Board Members make contributions that are commensurate with their capacity.
Designing Dreams Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Designing Dream’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
* Prior experience serving on a non-profit Board of Directors
* Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the medical and nonprofit sectors
* A commitment to and understanding of Designing Dream’s beneficiaries
* Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
* Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Designing Dream’s beneficiaries.