The Advisory Board will support the work of Designing Dreams and fill knowledge gaps in the organization. This Board is a group of experts who lend their skills, guidance, and knowledge to our organization. While day-to-day operations are led by Designing Dream’s Executive Director, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Advisory Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member Responsibilities Include:
* Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements the Designing Dreams strategic plan
* Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
* Assisting the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Advisory Board Members
* Partnering with the Executive Director and other Advisory Board Members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
* Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
* Representing Designing Dreams to stakeholders; promoting the organization in the community
* Expanding an organization’s network and connecting an organization to a new audience
* Guiding the organization’s board leadership in specific subject matters
Designing Dreams Board Members will consider Designing Dreams a philanthropic priority and make personal donations that reflect that priority. So that Designing Dreams can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Designing Dreams expects to have 100% of Board Members make contributions that are commensurate with their capacity.
Designing Dreams Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Designing Dream’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Advisory Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Advisory Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
* Preferably prior experience serving on a non-profit Board
* Extensive professional experience relative to specific subject matters (legal, finance, budgeting, strategy, project management, marketing, PR, donor relations, grants and foundations, event planning, nonprofit leadership, photography/videography, pediatric cancer medical professionals and social workers, interior designers, construction professionals, etc)
* A commitment to and understanding of Designing Dream’s beneficiaries
* Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
* Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Designing Dream’s beneficiaries